Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Why the name Emmie???


Some people have asked why the name Emmie and there is a story behind it so I thought I could blog it so it can be added to our journal. That way Emmie knows the story when she is older in case I forget the details. This isn't some awesome story just a long story where it proved to us Emmie was meant to be the name of our little girl.

1st off I wanted to name our girl something else. Aaron didn't like it and wouldn't' give in. Once I saw the picture of the little girl we wanted to adopted I then realized that name I wanted wasn't meant for her. That name didn't fit her at all. So I knew I had to think of another name. This was hard for me because I don't really like any girl names that much. I love boy names and I could think of tons I would love to use. So for a few days I would think of names I liked in the past and would ask Aaron what he thought. He suggested Emma because its a family name but I didn't really want it for this girl. I told Aaron one thing that stuck out to me is this name I liked in my early 20's. I used to watch a show on Lifetime where this women's name was Marie Elizabeth but her friend called her M.E., her initials for short. So when I was in my early 20's and not even married yet I used to think if I had a girl I would like to name her something with those initials and call her M.E for short. Well I started to think of that again and realized I couldn't do that because her middle name has to be Lynn because of tradition and it being my middle name too. So I started to think what if her name was just Emmie. I kind of struggled with it even though I couldn't get it out of my head. So one night in bed while I couldn't sleep I kept thinking about it. I didn't want to name her something that sounded made up. So I fell asleep and woke up a little while later not feeling good. I got up and started to read a magazine. I flipped to the back and saw advertisements where you could buy personalized items. I saw a bright green shirt that read "Emmie!" I was so shocked but excited to see it was a real name. So the next morning when Aaron and I woke up I showed him and told him I think its meant to be. So a few days later I was at my mom with several women in my family. I told them I wanted to know their opinion and told them the name. They all liked it so it made me feel better about it even more. A week later we were at a funeral and after the funeral we were outside. A lot of the kids where running around and this little girl ran by me and her mom yelled for her and called out her name "Emmie!" Again I was shocked but excited to here it out loud because the more I heard it around the more I liked it for sure. To even make sure I heard the name right I asked my sister in law Heather what that little girls name was (because I knew she was apart of her family) and she confirmed it was Emmie and also said she was adopted. All I could do is laugh because there was just too many signs to ignore. Since then I have seen about 4 more Emmies out there either from someone in a magazine, TV or a child someone else knows. So again those have been great for me to see and hear because it made me feel good about my original choice. I liked it but was scared to name her something weird that people could make fun of or kids make fun of. Then came the question how to spell it. I didn't want to do Emmy like the awards, I didn't want to do Emme because Jennifer Lopez just named her daughter that. So I went with the first spelling I saw in that magazine that I saw in the middle of the night. So that's the story behind the name EMMIE!

2 comments:

The Lowes said...

That's a cool story and one that you will love to have recorded in the future. I think it's a cute name.

Class and Sass said...

LOL!!! Randomly last night Ryan asked me why you chose that name! And then I see this this morning