Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Excited about starting this new tradition!!!!

I was torn, I wasn't sure if I should post this or not but its such a great idea I really wanted to share and maybe you will do this too with your family. Our family started something new this year that I hope becomes a long time family tradition and I am super excited about it. We are starting a Christmas Jar! If you don't know what that is I will explain it below.... First off its something you give away anonymously and I was a little worried if I posted this on my blog maybe someone would know it was us but I will take that chance. We are starting it now but it won't be passed out until a year from now (next Christmas). We got the idea from Glenn Beck who talked about this book called Christmas Jars.
Photobucket
http://www.christmasjars.com/

Aaron bought the books on his Kindle and read them in a few days. They are pretty small books but Aaron said they were great. Aaron started the jar and then we sat down with our kids to explain what we are doing since its a year long thing. Now I can't wait for next Christmas. I love the Spirit of giving! Ok back to the jars....

What is a Christmas Jar?
A Christmas Jar is a pickle jar, peanut butter jar, Mason jar or whatever else you have around to collect your spare change each day.
Photobucket

All coins are dedicated to the jar, and during the week before Christmas you carefully select someone to give it to anonymously. Was a neighbor laid off? Is a coworker struggling with health problems? Has a friend lost a loved one?

Simply put your jar on their porch, in their car, on their desk--wherever--and you could change their life for good!

$50, $100, even $200, you'll be surprised how much change you can generate and how much you can affect some one's life.

I am hoping we fill up a few jars to pass out before Christmas. I really wanted to share this idea because I think its a great way to help others and teach our children how to help and give to others.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Such a great idea Tami!

Life at The Hadenfeldt's said...

That is awesome! I really like that idea.