Tuesday, July 29, 2008

In loving memory of Grandpa Morris

My Grandpa Morris passed away today. I have so much to do and I am so tired but wanted to blog and get it all out. Plus this will be great for my journal. Grandpa was told he had 3 to 6 months to live about a month ago. He didn't believe it, he didn't want to talk about it so we did some things to prepare but left it alone. There wasn't much to do but enjoy our time with him. He has been at the cabin so I haven't seen him for a week but Sunday evening we got a call (while ending our visit with Emmie) that grandpa isn't doing well and they are bringing him home. This way he can be around his family and start getting help with Hospice. Well Monday I woke up and went to his house and you could tell this what it. He peeked him eyes open for a second as Hayden and I said hello to him in bed and let him know we were there. That's the last time he was alert to me. The rest of the day he slept. He would make his occasional sounds when he was in pain like Oi and uha. Hospice got him on some medication to make things more comfortable and all day we just watched him sleep as family and ward members came in to see him. I got home late last night and had a good sleep. I got up and got dressed and got there as fast as I could. When I got there I knew he was going to pass today. It was just a matter of when. He wouldn't respond to a thing. The Hospice people told us that sometimes they take longer to pass because he doesn't want to leave his family. That is so grandpa....he wants to be around us all the time and take care of us. So after noon we left the room and let grandma be alone with grandpa. She told him its ok to go, let him know she loved it and talked about their happy times. My Grandma's sister came to visit and went in the room. They were still talking about old times and they realized his breathing changed and he passed. Those of us there ran into the room and could tell he was gone. His shell of a body was left on that bed but Grandpa was not there anymore. We took our time all crying and we made calls to people who couldn't be there. Hospice got a hold of Bunckers and they came about a hour later to get his body. Before they got there we said good bye to him and some of the great grandkids (one being Hayden) sat on the bed next to him and sang some primary songs to him. When Bunkers came for him that was hard to let him leave and it was very emotional. But we all know he is better off and he lived a good long life. Saturday will be his funeral. I am making the program so I need to get going on it. And Cinda and I are doing the Obituary tonight. It happen so fast but it was a blessing because Grandpa couldn't stand being like this. He wouldn't have wanted to die slowly. Here is come pictures I have scanned of him for his funeral programs.


Grandpa as a baby

Grandpa as a teen hunting

Grandpa (1st on the left) with all his siblings and parents.

Just moved to Queen Creek, AZ from South Carolina in the early 1950's


Grandpa serving his Country

Just Married!





Grandpa, Grandma and their kids (my mom is the girl at the bottom)

Grandpa loved his pigeons


July 2008

5 comments:

The Lowes said...

Tami,Thanks for the post. I'm sure that was hard to write. I'm sorry you all had to go through the pain of loosing your Grandpa. It's a hard thing. Know that I'm thinking of you. By the way the picture of your Mom as a little girl, Ryan is a spittin image of his Mom huh. Let me know if I can do anything for you.

THE MORRIS FAMILY said...

Gosh he will be missed! We all LOVE him so much!!

Good job Tami

Apryl said...

Enjoyed reading your post...you made me cry, between the kind words, the pictures, and the song.

Alli said...

Tami, I'm so sorry about your Grandpa. I cried reading your blog. When I was in his ward, I loved his comments in Sunday School and his testimony. He was so cute and very committed to his beliefs. Wish your grandma well for me.

D and H fam said...

Tami, this is so sweet and heartfelt. You totally made me cry as well. I really loved Tink, he was always so nice and accepting of me (as well as Lareece). Good, good people. Thanks for sharing your experience through this. Our love and prayers are with you all.