Saturday, June 27, 2009

Father's Day

The Wednesday before Father's day I was at the cabin with the kids and Aaron stayed home. Aaron told me the Bishop called and wanted me to call him that evening. Even though it was 10:00pm and I didn't know if it was too late to call I was still dying to. When the Bishop calls the curiosity gets to me, I have to know what he wants. Well, he asked if I could speak on Father's day. He just needed me to give a 5 minute talk about Father's. I was kind of excited to have this opportunity even though I am always so nervous to talk in church. So when I got home from the cabin I prepared my talk. Even though Aaron knew I was going to talk I never told him about what. In my talk I highlighted Fathers in general and stuff about Aaron. He said he really liked it.

Preparing my talk it got me thinking about what is takes to be an Adoptive Father… Being an adoptive Father is not for every man. He must possess not only the natural Father instinct but an understanding and appreciation of the situation that brought a child into his arms making him a Father. The adoptive family came to be by choices made, choices made by the first parents and by the adoptive parents. Day by day, touch by touch, with each tear, kiss, and memory made they became a family.

This role is not for the weak of spirit, or the easily wounded. Loving a child not born to him but calling him his own, but this is what he does, it is his calling. He is a Father.

No comments: